I love Andes mints. No seriously. I LOVE them. They were always the highlight of my meals at Olive Garden. So I set out to make these mint chocolate bars. I thought that they were festive for this Christmas/holiday season and so super simple to make.
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips (12 ounces)
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 6 oz white (vanilla) almond bark
- 3 teaspoons peppermint extract (or to taste)
- green food coloring
- Melt the chocolate chips with 1 cup of the sweetened condensed milk. Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla.
- Take half of the mixture and spread it into a pan. I used an 8 x 8 pan which makes slightly thicker candies. Make sure and either line the pan with waxed paper or lightly butter the bottom and sides.
- In another saucepan, melt the almond bark with the remaining condensed milk. When it is finished remove from heat. Then add the peppermint extract and food coloring. (Very important: REMOVE from heat!!!! If the flame gets too close to the peppermint extract you will have a flambe. Don’t ask me how I know this). Put in the refrigerator for about 10 minutes until it has cooled. Once it has cooled, spread it over the bottom layer of the chocolate mixture.
- If the second half of the chocolate mixture has hardened then rewarm. Spread this on top of the peppermint layer.
- Chill until firm
- Cut and enjoy!!
PS: These would be PERFECT with a red food coloring to use as a Valentine’s Day treat!